Recovery is a slow and painful process … 9 days later and I still can’t even lift my right arm. I was off work for a week and planning to go back tomorrow, although I am really not ready to spend 6+ hours sitting at a desk right now.
I never realized before now just how much an accident can derail your life … I haven’t even been for a walk since before my accident. So many things I used to take for granted are so difficult or even impossible for me now.
In no particular order, things I cannot do/can barely do anymore since my car accident …
1. Can’t shave my armpits/legs/etc.
2. Difficulty putting on deodorant and dressing myself
3. Can’t put my hair up in a ponytail (or do much of anything with it)
4. Can’t do much in the way of cooking
5. Can’t do laundry, housework, etc.
6. Can’t walk dog
7. Can’t take a bath (afraid I won’t be able to get out)
8. Can’t exercise
9. CAN’T DRIVE!!
10. And, probably worst of all, can’t have sex for a while (we’re guessing 5-6 weeks); although, on the plus side, we will really enjoy it when our period of celibacy ends.
I don’t mean to sound like a whiner, just want to send the message that we should all be grateful for our health, well-being, strength, etc. You will miss it when it’s gone!
And I am so thankful to be alive.